Online Class: Internet Specialist 101
We start the course with a brief introduction to the personal computer and the history of technological advances that has led to the development of the Internet. We will examine a variety of topics that are required in order to have a comprehensive understanding of how to effectively use the Internet for both business and personal enrichment.
This course will include an overview of how computers connect to the Internet and cover such topics as email, building websites, communication on the Internet, protecting against hackers, keeping children safe online, software, hardware, and many more topics. We'll also cover the many career options for an Internet Specialist and examine what roles they may fill in today's businesses.
Lesson 1: Understanding the Personal ComputerThe road to becoming an effective Internet specialist starts with a basic and solid understanding of the personal computer and how it interacts with the global system of computers called the Internet.
Lesson 2: Internet Addresses and Domain NamesOne of the most important concepts to understand about the Internet is how Internet addresses, or domain names, work.
Lesson 3: Sending and Receiving E-mailIn this section, we will examine the actual mechanics of sending and receiving an e-mail and the software required to do so. We also will cover topics often overlooked by the general population.
Lesson 4: Internet SearchingSecond only to the use of e-mail, Internet searching is one of the most popularly used aspects of the Internet.
Lesson 5: Protecting Yourself Against HackersAs an Internet specialist, you often will be called upon to provide advice on how to best protect companies' assets from hackers and other malicious attacks meant to steal information or disable networks.
Lesson 6: Social Media on the InternetIn this section, we will give you a full understanding of how social media was born, what it is, and how it is used on the Internet today. We also will discuss why it is often regarded as the future of the Internet.
Lesson 7: Preparing to Build a Web SiteOne of the most important functions of an Internet specialist is to assist businesses and individuals in the preparation and building of a Web site.
Lesson 8: Building a Web SiteNow that you and your client have gone through the preparation phase of building a Web site, it is time to either work with a professional designer or build the site yourself.
Lesson 9: How to Do Research on the InternetThe Internet is a treasure trove of information, and that is an understatement.
Lesson 10: An Internet Specialist CareerOne of the most promising career paths, based on job growth projections, earnings potential, and job flexibility, is that of an Internet specialist.
Lesson 11: Using Internet Forums, Newsgroups, and Online CommunitiesThe advent of the Internet has greatly enhanced our ability to communicate and congregate, albeit virtually, with people who share our interests and have like-minded ideas.
Lesson 12: Communication on the InternetIt would be a remarkable understatement to claim that people's ability to communicate has vastly improved because of the Internet.
Lesson 13: Conducting Business and Shopping on the InternetSecond only to communication, shopping is one of the most popular uses for the Internet. Millions of people and businesses spend billions of dollars per day on the Internet.
Lesson 14: Protecting Children on the InternetExperts estimate that more than 93 percent of children in the United States have some access to the Internet, whether in school, at the library, or at home.
Lesson 15: Essential and Recommended Software for the InternetTo use the Internet, several software packages are essential and others are strongly recommended to make full use of the Web.
- Describe the major components of a personal computer.
- Understand Internet addresses and domain names.
- Describe the protocols involved in sending and receiving email.
- Describe best strategies to use when using search engines.
- Identify ways to protect yourself from online scams and hackers.
- Describe ways to use social media.
- Prepare and build a website.
- Use Internet Forums, Newsgroups, and Online Communities.
- Describe best methods for conducting business professionally and securely on the Internet.
- Identify ways to protect children from the hazards of the Internet.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- "All of it helpful, your must print it out and keep as a reference for future use." -- Joann B.
- "What was most helpful was building a website. I plan to improve my skills in building a website. This will get me started." -- Philip R.
- "What was most helpful was the organization of content and ease of understanding. It is such a great service for those who wish to continue learning and enhancing their knowledge while working." -- Ragini C.
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs PowerPoint 2021 + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Adobe After Effects + More Info
- 3 hours 0.3 CEUs Pinterest + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Microsoft Access 2019 + More Info
- 16 hours 1.6 CEUs Advanced Excel 2019 + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Microsoft Project 2019 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Outlook 2021 + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Adobe InDesign 101 + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Dreamweaver 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Creating WordPress Websites + More Info
- 13 hours 1.3 CEUs Adobe Illustrator 101 + More Info
- 20 hours 2.0 CEUs Photoshop Elements 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs How to Start and Run an Online Business + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Adobe Photoshop 101 + More Info
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Excel 2021 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Final Cut Pro X + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs QuickBooks Online + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Internet Marketing Basics + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Google Slides + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Cybersecurity 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Microsoft Word 2021 + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Adobe Lightroom 101 + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs QuickBooks 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Microsoft Publisher 2019 + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Adobe Premiere 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Windows 10 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Google Sheets + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Adobe Captivate + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Google Docs + More Info