How to Write a Short Story
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
have taken this course
Course DescriptionIf you're a reader and thought you might like to try your hand at short story writing but just don't know how to get started, this course will help!As you advance through this course, you're going to learn the correct way to write a short story. More than that, you're going to learn the aspects of every good short story as well as learn how to create your own wonderful works!Amateur short story writers try to write their stories like miniature novels. Their stories read as either an excerpt or a condensed novel. Unfortunately, undisciplined writers do not write short stories that are complete. They overlook the fundamentals--such as--what sets the short story apart from a novel, and why one can never be substituted for the other.
This course will show you how to write effectively and creatively. So join us today! And let's write some short stories that people will want to read!
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: The Differences between a Short Story and a NovelTo write short stories it's important that one have a good understanding of what one is and how they differ from novels. This lesson examines in detail what they are and how they differ from and novels.
Lesson 2: Starting a Short StoryWhile novels may have lengthy introductions with background information, short stories do not. With short stories you need to jump right in and work to advance the plot. This lesson explores all the ins and outs of starting a short story.
Lesson 3: Writing a Catchy First ParagraphThe first paragraph of a short story is the biggest determining factor as to whether or not the reader will continue reading or not. This lesson looks at what goes into writing a great opening paragraph.
Lesson 4: Developing CharactersWhile a strong opening to a short story is essential, the characters are the glue that hold it together. In this lesson you will learn about what should go into developing a character.
Lesson 5: Choosing a Point of View and TenseThe point of view your story will take is an important factor. This lesson explains the differences in points of view and tenses and when it's appropriate to use each of them.
Lesson 6: DialogueDialogue is one of the most important and interesting things that goes on in a short story. But how do you write it correctly? This lesson looks at the rules of writing good dialogue.
Lesson 7: Setting, Context, and PlotIn this lesson you will learn about how to go about writing the setting, context, and plot of the story. A lot of what you have learned so far starts coming together with this lesson.
Lesson 8: Conflict and TensionConflict and tension are key elements to any short story. This lesson breaks down and explains the rules of how to use it in writing short stories.
Lesson 9: Building to a ClimaxAll good short stories must build to a climax. This lesson explains what the climax is and when it's ideal to reach it.
Lesson 10: The ResolutionThis lesson focuses on the resolution to the conflict in the short story. It covers what it is and how it's used.
Lesson 11: Tips for Writing Your Short StoriesThis lesson covers information about writing short stories, finding fresh ideas, and finding a market to get them published.
24 Answers Every Writer Should Know24 Answers Every Writer Should Know
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: How to Write a Short StoryCourse Number: 7550283Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.1 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: shortstory101.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Melissa BehrendSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Compare and contrast the differences between a short story and a novel.
- Demonstrate writing techniques that start a short story.
- Describe ways to write a catchy first paragraph.
- Summarize ways to develop characters.
- Describe how to choose a point of view and tense.
- Demonstrate how to properly write dialogue.
- Define setting, context, and plot.
- Identify conflict and tension.
- Build a climax.
- Demonstrate writing out the resolution, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment: The Short Story Assignment 20 Lesson 1: The Differences between a Short Story and a Novel Exam 8 Lesson 2 Assignment: Characters Assignment 20 Lesson 2: Starting a Short Story Exam 8 Lesson 3 Assignment: Show, Don't Tell Assignment 20 Lesson 3: Writing a Catchy First Paragraph Exam 8 Lesson 4 Assignment: Good Characters Assignment 20 Lesson 4: Developing Characters Exam 7 Lesson 5 Assignment: Simple Tense Assignment 20 Lesson 5: Choosing a Point of View and Tense Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment: Writing Dialogue Assignment 30 Lesson 6: Dialogue Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment: What's the plot? Assignment 20 Lesson 7: Setting, Context, and Plot Exam 8 Lesson 8 Assignment: Conflicts Assignment 20 Lesson 8: Conflict and Tension Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignments: The Climax Assignment 20 Lesson 9: Building to a Climax Exam 8 Lesson 10 Assignment: The Resolution Assignment 20 Lesson 10: The Resolution Exam 8 Lesson 11 Assignment: Short Story Writing Assignment 40 Lesson 11: Tips for Writing Your Short Stories Exam 10 Total Points: 350
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$65for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$90for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "I think that the course is wonderfully laid out. The links and assignments were on point and substantive." -- Mick M.
- "The entire course was helpful. She was by far the most available and helpful instructor I have had yet." -- Leigh S.
- "I've had other story writing classes, but this one was by far the best. The way the instructor explained the steps of writing was very helpful and clear." -- Safa A.
- "Good course. Hope to take more!" -- Kyle B.
- "The entire course was helpful to me. She is a great instructor, I've had the chance to have for 2 courses I've taken. She was always available for questions and offered constructive instructions during these courses. I'm looking forward to having her as an instructor for other writing courses I will be taking." -- Joy K.
- "I think this course was by far the most helpful for someone starting out in this area." -- Deborah K.
- "The instructor was very encouraging and helpful." -- Paul W.
- View More Testimonials...