ICD-9-CM Coding Workshop
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
This self-study medical coding course will emphasize the rules and guidelines on the ICD-9-CM coding manual.
The course benefits those who work or want to work in the medical field whether it be as a medical biller, medical coder, and/or medical assistant.
The class format is designed to help the beginner coder learn and understand the concept of coding a diagnostic statement.
The course is designed to help the experienced coder gain additional knowledge and practice on their speed in preparation for the coding certification exam.
Coding scenarios are provided to help the student continue his/her knowledge in the field of medical coding.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1_ICD-9-CM ReviewAn ICD-9-CM code communicates to an insurance carrier the medical necessity (diagnosis) of any given procedure or visit provided by a physician or other healthcare provider. Let's review ICD-9-CM coding!
Lesson 2_Conventions of ICD-9-CM CodingCoding conventions are rules that are used by the coder when assigning an ICD-9-CM diagnosis code. To accurately assign an ICD-9-CM code, the coder must have a thorough understanding of the coding conventions.
Lesson 3_Coding BurnsLearn about first, second and third degree burns. It is important to review the medical record to determine the degree of the burn in order to sequence the code in the right order.
Lesson 4_The Neoplasm TableUnderstand the Neoplasm Table. Some statements used in documentation can be confusing. Coding guidelines for coding neoplasms are covered in this lesson.
Lesson 5_V codes and E CodesV-codes and E-codes are explained in this lesson. The student also receives guidance on searching for the codes and an explanation of when and how to apply the codes.
Lesson 6_The Hypertension TableThe ICD-9-CM classifies hypertension by primary or secondary and the nature, benign, malignant or unspecified. This lesson will provide a review of the coding guidelines and coding tips to be able to assign the correct diagnosis code(s) to hypertension an
Lesson 7_Coding Injuries and FracturesChapter 17 of the ICD-9-CM Coding manual classifies injuries, poisoning, other effects of external causes. This lesson will primarily focus on coding injuries and fractures
Lesson 8_The Table of Drugs and ChemicalsSometimes people take medication that will cause a reaction for one reason or another. Learn the correct way to sequence the ICD-9 code.
Lesson 9 The Endocrine System - Coding DiabetesDiabetes Mellitus is assigned codes from category 250. It is important to code the correct 4th and 5th digit to indicate if the patient is a Type I or Type II diabetic and if the diabetes is under control. There are many rules to coding diabetes.
Lesson 10_Multiple and Combination CodingCombination codes are used to describe two or more diagnoses or when when a diagnosis is assocated with a manifestation. A multiple code describes a single condition that requires more than one code. How a coder sequences the code is important. Let's find
Lesson 11_ICD-10Use the "WHO" Electronic ICD-10 Training Tool and read the ICD-10 PDF file.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: ICD-9-CM Coding WorkshopCourse Number: 31234Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: Professional (Intermediate Level)CEU Value: 0.8 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: icd9cm.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Diana Wilson, CPC, CPC-I, CPMASyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $149.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $174.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define ICD-9-CM.
- Describe conventions of ICD-9-CM coding.
- Demonstrate coding burns.
- Demonstrate using the neoplasm table.
- Demonstrate using V codes and E codes.
- Demonstrate using the hypertension table.
- Demonstrate coding injuries and fractures.
- Demonstrate using The Table of Drugs and Chemicals.
- Demonstrate coding the endocrine system and diabetes.
- Demonstrate multiple and combination coding, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Assignment 1_ICD-9 Overview Assignment 100 Test 1_Pre-Exam - ICD-9 Coding Exam 100 ICD-9-CM Coding Test Exam 45 Assignment 2_Coding Conventions Assignment 100 Assignment 3_Beginning the ICD-9 Search Assignment 100 Test 2_Coding Guidelines and Conventions Exam 100 Assignment 3_Coding Burns Assignment 100 Test 3_ICD-9-Coding and Guidelines- BURNS Exam 100 Assignment 4_Neoplasm Coding Guidelines Assignment 100 Test 4_Neoplasm Table Exam 90 Assignment 5_V-codes and E-codes Assignment 100 Test 5_V-codes Exam 100 Assignment 6_Hypertension Related Diseases Assignment 100 Test 6 -Hypertension Coding Scenarios Exam 100 Assignment 7_Analyze this fracture to prepare for coding Assignment 100 Test 7_Coding Fractures Exam 100 Assignment 8_Side effects of a drug Assignment 10 Test 8_The Table of Drugs and Chemicals Exam 100 Test 9_Coding Diabetes Exam 90 Assignment 10_Multiple and Combination Coding Assignment 100 Test 10_Combination and Multiple Coding Exam 100 Assignment 11_ICD-10 Assignment 100 ICD-10 Prep Exam Exam 100 Total Points: 2135
- "For me, the practice questions were most helpful. The instructor was very patient and accommodating to me. She gave me every opportunity to improve my grades and to be comfortable with all content." -- Donna S.
- "I like the lessons and the explanation for the mistake I made for the tests. The instructor is very helpful and has a lot of experience. Thanks." -- Thuy N.
- "Everything was helpful....I have had this instructor in prior classes and she did an excellent job." -- Debbie M.
- "Thanks for all your help! I really liked how the instructor would let you know what mistakes you made and explained why, was very helpful." -- Molly W.
- "Very good instructor." -- Vicki M.
- "The entire course was helpful in that it helped me do a better job in coding. It gave me a different insight on coding and trained me to dig a little deeper for codes." -- Barbara J.
- "I found the course to be very helpful; I found that I wasn't using correct coding in some instances, and now know the better way." -- Linda M.
- View More Testimonials...