Online Class: Vocabulary Building
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Course DescriptionAre you interested in building your vocabulary? Do you feel that your writing or your speaking vocabulary is below average? The purpose of "
" is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation. Vocabulary BuildingA strong vocabulary will not only give you the tools to say and write exactly what you mean it can also help you on a job interview, communicate better with a doctor or your lawyer and certainly help you with school work. A good vocabulary makes you sound smarter, feel more assured and practically guarantees you'll be a better writer and speaker. The purpose of this vocabulary class is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation.The larger our vocabularies the more clearly we can communicate with others and understand what others are trying to communicate to us. This course will introduce some simple ways to learn new vocabulary words by practicing reading in context, by writing sentences using the words and by doing practice exercises and quizzes.
The class is not a beginning or advanced vocabulary course. It's that "in between" course where so many people's vocabulary skills fit. So if you're interested in expanding your vocabulary skills in a self-paced, no stress format where an instructor actually reviews and corrects your sentence writing, why not give it a try? Enrich your life by enriching your vocabulary.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
IntroductionAn introduction to the course and an explanation of what will be required for lessons and assignments.
Lesson 2: Read, Read, and ReadThe quickest way to expand your vocabulary is to read.
Lesson 3: SynonymsWe'll focus on a review of words that have similar meanings.
Lesson 4: Synonyms ContinuedMore work on synonyms.
Lesson 5: Homonyms and HomographsPairs that are often confused, and how to keep them straight.
Lesson 6: Words of Foreign OriginWords from other countries that English has "borrowed."
Lesson 7: Misleading WordsWords that don't mean what they sound like, or words that sound like other words.
Lesson 8: Power WordsPower words are words that can evoke an emotional response when they are read or heard.
Lesson 9: Knowing AntonymsKnowing the antonym of a word will increase your ability to understand and remember the word.
Lesson 10: Verbal AnalogiesTesting your knowledge of words with verbal analogies.
Lesson 11: More Vocabulary-Building ExercisesVarious vocabulary exercises
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Vocabulary BuildingCourse Number: 7550415Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 0.5 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: vocabularybuilder.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Daphnee St.ValSyllabus: View SyllabusCourse Review: Read Editorial ReviewRequirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the best practices to build vocabulary.
- Define and use synonyms.
- Define and use homonyms and homographs.
- Define and use words of foreign origin.
- Recognize misleading words.
- Define and use power words.
- Define and use antonyms.
- Define and use verbal analogies.
- Summarize vocabulary building exercises to use daily, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Introduction Assignment 1 Assignment 1 Assignment for Lesson 2 Assignment 10 Word Context Exam 75 Lesson 3 Assignment: Synonyms Assignment 20 Finding Synonyms Exam 95 Lesson 4 Assignment A: Synonym Fill in the Blanks Assignment 12 Lesson 4 Assignment B: More Synonyms Assignment 25 Synonyms Continued Exam 60 Lesson 5 Assignment: Homonym Writing Assignment 25 Homonym Questions Exam 50 More Practice with Homonyms Exam 60 Lesson 6 Assignment: Foreign Phrases Assignment 25 Using Terms of Foreign Origin Exam 50 Lesson 7 Assignment: Misleading Words Assignment 10 Misleading Words Exam Exam 55 Lesson 8 Assignment: Power Words Assignment 25 Power Words Exam Exam 45 Lesson 9 Assignment: Antonyms Assignment 10 Antonyms (Opposites) Exam 11 Verbal Analogies Exam Exam 5 More Verbal Analogies Exam 50 Lesson 11 Assignment A Assignment 20 Lesson 11 Assignment B: Final Writing Assignment 20 More Practice- Quiz 11 Exam 70 Additional Vocabulary Words - Quiz 11 Exam 50 Total Points: 879
- "Enjoyed the course! The class was very helpful, I really loved improving my vocabulary...Thank God that I had six months to complete the course because I became ill during the time that I was register." -- Lillian J.
- "All of it was helpful!" -- Sharon J.
- "The instructor was excellent. She was thorough and prompt. She contributed a real human touch to this computerized classwork." -- Gretchen T.
- "I found the lessons to be very helpful. I really enjoyed this Instuctor, she was very nice and extremly helpful." -- Kellie R.
- "I really enjoyed being able to print the text and read it at my leisure." -- Juree H.
- "The instructor was extremely knowledgeable and like I said got back to me almost immediately." -- Donna N.
- "My instructor was EXCELLENT! She also was instructive, patient, and encouraging during this course. All parts of course were helpful, I have an increased knowledge and awareness of words when reading or writing." -- Helen M.
- View More Testimonials...