Online Class: Vocabulary Building
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
The class is not a beginning or advanced vocabulary course. It's that "in between" course where so many people's vocabulary skills fit. So if you're interested in expanding your vocabulary skills in a self-paced, no stress format where an instructor actually reviews and corrects your sentence writing, why not give it a try? Enrich your life by enriching your vocabulary.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
IntroductionAn introduction to the course and an explanation of what will be required for lessons and assignments.
Lesson 2: Read, Read, and ReadThe quickest way to expand your vocabulary is to read.
Lesson 3: SynonymsWe'll focus on a review of words that have similar meanings.
Lesson 4: Synonyms ContinuedMore work on synonyms.
Lesson 5: Homonyms and HomographsPairs that are often confused, and how to keep them straight.
Lesson 6: Words of Foreign OriginWords from other countries that English has "borrowed."
Lesson 7: Misleading WordsWords that don't mean what they sound like, or words that sound like other words.
Lesson 8: Power WordsPower words are words that can evoke an emotional response when they are read or heard.
Lesson 9: Knowing AntonymsKnowing the antonym of a word will increase your ability to understand and remember the word.
Lesson 10: Verbal AnalogiesTesting your knowledge of words with verbal analogies.
Lesson 11: More Vocabulary-Building ExercisesVarious vocabulary exercises
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Describe the best practices to build vocabulary.
- Define and use synonyms.
- Define and use homonyms and homographs.
- Define and use words of foreign origin.
- Recognize misleading words.
- Define and use power words.
- Define and use antonyms.
- Define and use verbal analogies.
- Summarize vocabulary building exercises to use daily, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Introduction Assignment 1||Assignment||1|
|Assignment for Lesson 2||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment: Synonyms||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4 Assignment A: Synonym Fill in the Blanks||Assignment||12|
|Lesson 4 Assignment B: More Synonyms||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Assignment: Homonym Writing||Assignment||25|
|More Practice with Homonyms||Exam||60|
|Lesson 6 Assignment: Foreign Phrases||Assignment||25|
|Using Terms of Foreign Origin||Exam||50|
|Lesson 7 Assignment: Misleading Words||Assignment||10|
|Misleading Words Exam||Exam||55|
|Lesson 8 Assignment: Power Words||Assignment||25|
|Power Words Exam||Exam||45|
|Lesson 9 Assignment: Antonyms||Assignment||10|
|Verbal Analogies Exam||Exam||5|
|More Verbal Analogies||Exam||50|
|Lesson 11 Assignment A||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 11 Assignment B: Final Writing||Assignment||20|
|More Practice- Quiz 11||Exam||70|
|Additional Vocabulary Words - Quiz 11||Exam||50|
- "I enjoyed all parts of the course. It was nice to have web links for all of the lessons." -- Josephine C.
- "I am doing the Grammar Course online and hope to do the Proofreading course; so I needed to expand my word use. The course was easy to follow and the assignments fun and educational." -- Gemma C.
- "Enjoyed the course! The class was very helpful, I really loved improving my vocabulary...Thank God that I had six months to complete the course because I became ill during the time that I was register." -- Lillian J.
- "All of it was helpful!" -- Sharon J.
- "The instructor was excellent. She was thorough and prompt. She contributed a real human touch to this computerized classwork." -- Gretchen T.
- "I found the lessons to be very helpful. I really enjoyed this Instuctor, she was very nice and extremly helpful." -- Kellie R.
- "I really enjoyed being able to print the text and read it at my leisure." -- Juree H.
- View More Testimonials...