Course Syllabus: Special Education 101: Foundations, Purpose, & Challenges
with CEU Certificate*
This course explains why people with disabilities deserve respect rather than pity in their quest for full engagement in school and post school life, why special education is mandated by policy and law to meet the education needs of students with disabilities, how its goals are affected by the nation's commitment to equalize educational opportunities for this group of learners, the revolutionary basis of these equal opportunity goals, why an equalized educational experience should empower students with disabilities to be self-determined at school and beyond, and how current practice falls far short of these equal rights expectations.
Complete all lessonsComplete all pollsComplete all quizzesPost comments about the Lessons in the associated Forums
All of the material needed to complete the course are provided in the 12 lessons.
- Understanding Child Development
- Designing a Comprehensive Discipline Program
- The Challenges and other Resources about Positive Parenting
- Examining Anxiety Disorders
- Classroom Management: Working With Parents
- Unhealthy Self-Esteem Signs
- The Approach of Positive Parenting
- Developmental Disabilities in Understanding Childhood Development
- Tips for Reading Body Language
- Working a Co-Parenting and Visitation Plan