Writing the Great American Short Story
with CEU Certificate*
Are you a daydreamer? Why not turn your daydreams into short stories? In this class, we'll take an introductory approach to the traditional methods of writing the Great American Short Story. Through the course discussion and the study of great American writers like Annie Proulx, Richard Bausch, and Lorrie Moore, you'll gain the inspiration and momentum to complete your own 3000 - 8000 word short story.
The lesson topics are:
1. The Short Story Landscape in
2. Answering to the Muse
3. Developing a Main Character
4. Telling the Story: Structure & Plot
5. Styling the Words You Write
6. Ending Your Story Like a Master
7. Revising Your Writing
This class has five assignments, all of which center on the creation of a polished and possibly publishable short story (depending on your ability).The short story is the final assignment (included in the set of five).
The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction: 50 North American Stories Since 1970 (Touchstone Books)
This book is available on Amazon.com and other online retailers. You do not have to buy the textbook to complete the course, but you will gain more from the lessons if you do; stories from this book are mentioned throughout the course.
All students in this class should be able to read and write at the college level.
2) Awakening of Your Creative Skills
3) Conception and Creation of a 3000 - 8000 Word Short Story
All assignments and tests have points assigned to them. To calculate your grade percentage at any point during the course, divide your points earned by the points possible to date.
|Assignment 1A: Class Forum Postings||1|
|The Short Story Landscape||10|
|Assignment 2: Write the First Page of Your Story||10|
|Answering to the Muse||10|
|Assignment 3: Character Profile Worksheet||5|
|Developing a Main Character||10|
|Telling the Story: Structure & Plot||9|
|Styling the Words You Write||10|
|Assignment 4: Finish Your Short Story||30|
|End Your Story Like a Master||10|
|Revising Your Writing||10|
- How to Develop a More Focused Approach for Research
- How to Polish Your Writing to be Sophisticated and Professional
- The Syntax of Business Writing
- Writing Help: How to Properly Write Great and Enticing Dialogue for Your Story
- Formats for Different Business Letter Types
- Enhancing Your Resume with Activities and Interests
- How to Write a Persuasive Argument - Best Strategies
- Grant Writing: How to Create Doable Action Plans with Achievable Timelines
- How to Write a Professional Business Letter
- Is Writing Grant Proposals the Solution to Your Organization's Problems?