| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
A result of inadequate parenting
Nor is it a learning disability.
And a diagnosis certainly needn't be viewed as a life long sentence to mediocrity, emptiness, dissatisfaction or lack of either fulfillment or productivity.
Autism is plainly and simply a neurobiological condition (more specifically a neurodevelopmental disorder) that comes with lifelong challenges but also brings with it some fantastic lifelong opportunities for growth. Opportunities which are not only limited to the person who has the condition, but also for siblings and other family members, friends and supporters.
Certainly, nobody has to be condemned to a less than first rate life because they are labeled in some way, or another, as being defective or less than they can be, solely because they are autistic. Yes, it can be frightening (particularly to a new parent) when a child is diagnosed with a condition that has no known cure and about which many doctors and researchers still disagree. And yes, it may be a different life than a parent would have envisaged.
BUT there is much more than just hope, there are living breathing examples of autistic people who have achieved much and will continue to achieve do so, such as the widely acknowledged Dr Temple Grandin (college professor, sought after professional speaker and inventor).
Famous people of the past who were very likely to have been in some way autistic, include such as Albert Einstein. So autism is not only treatable but can in many ways utilized and developed as a gift.
This course will give you an insight into this condition (once considered very rare) which touches many more lives than people realize, or even care to admit. There is much reason for hope!
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and describe the myths and misconceptions of autism.
- Describe the history of autism.
- Identify the symptoms of autism, describe screening techniques for autism, and recognize the diagnosis of autism.
- Identify and evaluate various treatments of autism.
- Describe ways to manage autism.
- Describe family life with autism.
- Identify the differences between managing a child with autism and managing an adult with autism.
- Demonstrate various techniques to communicate with an autistic person, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 - Autism: Myths and MisconceptionsLesson 1 - Myths & Misconceptions
Lesson 2: An Overview of a Special World -- Autism!Lesson 2: An Overview of a Special World - Autism!
Lesson 3: Exploring the History and Language of AutismLesson 3: Exploring the History and Language of Autism
Lesson 4: Symptoms, Screening, and DiagnosisLesson 4: Symptoms, Screening, and Diagnosis
Lesson 5: Treatment Options - Understanding, Evaluating, Deciding, and ManagingLesson 5: Treatment Options - Understanding, Evaluating, Deciding, and Managing
Lesson 6: Education -- You, Yours, and Everyone Else!Lesson 6: Education -- You, Yours, and Everyone Else!
Lesson 7: Family Life With AutismLesson 7: Family Life With Autism
Lesson 8: The Beginning of Life: A Child With AutismLesson 8: The Beginning of Life: A Child With Autism
Lesson 9: Continuing Life: Living as an Autistic AdultLesson 9:Continuing Life: Living as an Autistic Adult
Lesson 10: Communicating Within the Autistic WorldLesson 10: Communicating Within the Autistic World
Lesson 11: Support Is Often the Key - Choices and OptionsLesson 11: Support Is Often the Key - Choices and Options
|Course Title ||: ||Autism 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550059 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $40.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
- "All of it was helpful in that I had limited exposure to students with autism in the past and I started working with children with autism during the time I was taking this course." -- Cherene P.
- "I enjoyed the way the course was organized, the information presented was complete and offered a variety of links to further my exploration on the topic and the instructor was quick to respond to questions and concerns as well as read through assignments." -- Cynthia B.
- "Lesson links were helpful and great resources." -- Kathy D.
- "It was all good." -- Jessica D.
- "I learned a lot about how to be aware of the systems of autism." -- Sarah N.
Other Related Classes in Disabilities
- Psychology 101 Why not learn the basics of psychology with our online course designed to give students the most flexibility and independence? Psychology 101 is a comprehensive class providing an up-to-date presentation of the fundamentals of psychology. It's an excel...
- Anger Management 101 If you have been at the mercy of the negative consequences that result from mishandled anger, Anger Management 101 will provide relief. This insightful course is filled with both practical wisdom and application that will end the anger trap for good. ...
- Behavior Management 101 We devote a disturbing amount of time, energy, and financial resources in the overwhelming task of managing inappropriate behaviors of students and children, and it does not stop there. It is no secret that juvenile delinquency is a growing problem in ou...
- Confidence Building 101 This course on building self-confidence reaches beyond the standard self-help program by addressing the core issues surrounding confidence problems and exploring how to reprogram our brain‘s negative self-talk. Based on the concept that we come int...
- Early Childhood Development Research shows that the early years set the stage for all future development. We know more now than ever before about how young children learn, think and grow. All children are born eager to explore their world and master their development. From birth to...
- Assertiveness Training 101 The ability to be assertive is difficult. Because most people do not want to be perceived as selfish, demanding, hostile, stubborn or just plain hard to get along with, they allow others to take advantage of them or they do more than is necessary or requ...
- Child Psychology 101 This course introduces the methods, theories and main concepts used by psychologists to develop a real insight into the world of children. Child psychology is extremely important for a number of reasons, not the least of which is being able to understan...
- Abnormal Psychology 101 Abnormal Psychology is a highly complex and fascinating field of study. The modern psychological community has made tremendous strides in better understanding, diagnosing and treating abnormal disorders of the mind compared to centuries and even decades ...
- Basic Parenting 101 Good parenting skills are something we learn, not something we are born with. Being a more effective parent or caretaker is possible for everyone! This course can help you get your parenting skills to where you want them to be. It covers a broad rang...
- Conflict Resolution 101 Conflict Resolution: In the Workplace and Beyond Did you know that a little conflict in your office today can shut down your entire operation tomorrow? That is no exaggeration! Workplace conflict costs. It starts by reducing productivity and employee h...
- Sociology 101 This comprehensive course provides an up-to-date presentation of the essentials of sociological study. Students will learn a wide range of classical and contemporary perspectives which will encourage links between theories and current research. With the ...
- Child Abuse Recognition, Investigation, and Protection Preventing child abuse is everyone's responsibility. This includes law enforcement personnel, educational personnel, medical personnel as well as family, friends, and neighbors. Child Abuse education is important so that students may recognize various as...
- Personality Development 101 In this Personality Development course you will learn in-depth information about personalities. You will gain a better understanding about those around you and also more about who you are and how you got to be that way. This course starts with a basi...
- Mediation 101 The individual who pursues a career as a mediator can look forward to a job that is personally satisfying and financially rewarding. With its emphasis on fairness and cooperation, this career is an ideal choice for those who are empathetic and want to ...
- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders 101 This research-based introductory course will provide comprehensive information on Emotional and Behavioral disorders. The course material will provide you with information on the following: definitions, characteristics, prevalence, causes, assessment, ...
- Special Education 101: Foundations, Purpose, & Challenges Special Education 101 is the first in a series of relevant, innovative and dynamic courses developed and taught by a leading educator in this field. This course explains why people with disabilities deserve respect rather than pity in their quest for ...
- Healthy Relationships 101 Whether you are in a new or long term romantic relationship, a busy student working with other colleagues, parents struggling to form a connection with your children, or a business person needing to form a relationship of trust with the employer--relatio...
- Learning Disabilities: What You Need to Know This course will provide lots of useful information about learning disabilities from the perspective of the individual and the perspective of the parent. We'll cover numerous coping and teaching strategies, the role of an advocate, and much more. This se...
- Autism Spectrum Disorders for Teachers This is an overview of autism spectrum disorders for teachers and paraprofessionals. We will examine the psychological, physiological, social, and educational characteristics of individuals who have been identified as having autism, pervasive development...
- Special Education: Foundations, Behavior, Curriculum, Instruction, and Evaluation This course establishes the foundations for employing positive approaches in the treatment of people with developmental disabilities and autism spectrum disorders by covering the principles of equal opportunity and self-determination and their relationshi...
- Building Self-Esteem in Children 101 While many of us feel we have an idea of what self-esteem is, it can still be difficult to pinpoint just how to go about helping a child to build a healthy one. In Building Self-Esteem in Children, you will learn all about self-esteem and come out ready ...
- Applied Behavior Analysis Strategies for Teachers This course familiarizes parents, teachers, and paraprofessionals with appropriate behavioral approaches and methods for the instruction and management of individuals with disabilities. This course is designed to provide students with the fundamental...
- Attention Deficit Disorders: ADD and ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) affects millions of children and adults all over the world. Although it is considered a mental health issue by some medical practitioners, ADHD is actually a complex neurobiological disorder, thus, it cann...
- Special Ed: Effective and Significant Approaches This course presents educational approaches that are effective in establishing high rates of learning, building self-regulation skills, and increasing prospects for self-determination for children and youth with autism spectrum disorders. Since many of t...
- Childhood Obesity 101 Are you one of those parents who constantly worry about your child's weight? Are you unsure about the kind of help and support an overweight child needs? Or are you looking for ways to prevent your child from gaining excess weight? Whichever the case, th...
- How To Be a Substitute Teacher Substitute teaching can be a rewarding profession for people looking to make a difference in children's lives and to leave a positive impact in their communities. It is also a job that allows someone a flexible work schedule and the ability to work jus...
- First Grade Curriculum 101 The view of schooling is no longer the textbook-based, one-sided lecture method of the 19 th and even 20 th Centuries. Education theory has shifted dramatically in recent decades. The passive learning styles of our past are now understood to be inferi...
- Second Grade Curriculum 101 There is no specific national school curriculum in the U.S. Many states don't develop their own particular curriculum, but rather adopt standards of knowledge that students are expected to master. In recent decades there has been some general agreement ...