| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || | Tex Mex Cuisine 101 is a course for those who want to learn more about the Tex Mex phenomenon. Often when we consider Mexican food, it is actually Tex Mex we are thinking of. Tex Mex is a blend of cuisine from Mexico and the Southern States, especially Texas. It is inspired by the melting pot fuelled by increasing immigration from Mexico into the Southern States of America; Mexican ingredients found their way into Texan dishes while Texan cooks left their own stamp on Mexican recipes, culminating in a culinary revolution of sorts that has taken the world by storm. Tex Mex restaurants have sprung up all over the world and if you want to know why, then this course is perfect for you.
The course begins with a look at the history of Tex Mex cuisine, where it came from and how it is influenced by cultural and geographical factors. From Lesson 2, the real fun begins with a range of recipes that will in turn challenge and surprise you with their unique combinations of ingredients. While many of the recipes make great use of chillies and spices, many of them can be made milder to suit every taste so there really is something for everyone here, from those who love things hot, hot, hot... to children and those who can't quite handle the heat!
Each lesson has around 3 recipes to try, ranging from side dishes and snacks to more involving recipes for whole meals. Throughout the course, suggestions are made for those who want to be adventurous and alter the recipes to suit the preferences of their family or dinner guests; allowing you to have the freedom to be original and continue the Tex Mex legacy by perhaps introducing some of your own locality into the recipes.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe Tex-Mex cuisine.
- Demonstrate classic Tex-Mex recipes.
- Demonstrate making salsa, rice, and cheese.
- Demonstrate making pasta.
- Describe and recognize Tex-Mex flavors.
- Demonstrate making guacamole, beans and quesadillas.
- Demonstrate making beer battered fritters, pizza, and stuffed cherry tomatoes.
- Demonstrate making nachos, beef and chipotle pasta, and corn on the cob.
- Demonstrate making chimichangas, potato bake, and baked chicken.
- Demonstrate making chilli, marinades, soups, potatoes, and beverages, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Tex Mex CuisineTex-Mex cooking is a combination of Mexican and Texan cultures. Over the space of many generations the recipes and ingredients have evolved to create a style of dishes that brings excitement and flavor to the dinner table.
Lesson 2: Classic Tex-Mex RecipesThis lesson gets us off to a flying start with a classic Mexican dish with a great Tex-Mex twist.
Lesson 3: Salsa, Rice, and CheeseServe this delicious salsa with any Texan, Mexican or Tex Mex dish to liven it up or simply serve with toasted tortillas or nachos to enjoy the tomato and chili flavors that burst through.
Lesson 4: PastaTexan cooks have a range of pasta recipes that have been adapted to suit the preferences of the Tex Mex fan and this lesson looks at just a few wonderful pasta dishes.
Lesson 5: Tex-Mex FlavorsThis lesson has a real mix of flavors to keep you learning about how typical Mexican and Texan ingredients interact with one another to create a vast range of different effects.
Lesson 6: Guacamole, Beans and QuesadillasThis lesson takes on one of the most popular Mexican exports in the form of Guacamole and then moves on to take you through the process of making one of Tex Mex's greatest success stories; quesadillas.
Lesson 7: Beer Battered Fritters, Pizza, and Stuffed Cherry TomatoesThis lesson takes you through three new recipes, each of which looks at Tex Mex cuisine in a slightly different way.
Lesson 8: Nachos, Beef and Chipotle Pasta, and Corn on the CobThis lesson will take you through some of the most popular Tex Mex specialities!
Lesson 9: Chimichangas, Potato Bake, and Baked ChickenThis lesson takes on some more substantial recipes and by now your knowledge and experience will encourage you to experiment so feel free to add to the dishes.
Lesson 10: ChiliThis lesson is all about chili. We begin with a recipe that has become a favorite worldwide and perhaps symbolizes the Tex Mex philosophy.
Lesson 11: Marinades, Soups, and PotatoesLesson 11 is the final lesson that deals with food recipes before moving on to have a brief look at Tex Mex beverages in lesson 12.
Lesson 12: BeveragesThis lesson winds down with a focus on the drinks popular in the Tex Mex world. Choosing what to drink with spicy food can be difficult but this is a brief guide to some popular beverages that will suit some of the recipes you will be enjoying in the cour
|Course Title ||: ||Tex Mex Cooking 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550276 |
|Course Type ||: ||How To |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
UniversalClass Staff Instructor
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $30.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Culinary Arts
- Nutrition 101 Improve your health and your life through nutrition and exercise. Create nutrition and health goals to motivate you to become a healthier you. Make meaningful, lasting changes to your diet that last. Review the digestion process and how our body would di...
- Cake Decorating 101 Have you ever had a greasy puddle of icing on your cake plate? By the end of Cake Decorating 101, you'll be assured this will never happen to one of your cakes. Cake decorating is not just buttercream anymore. It is the final packaging everyone sees fir...
- Cooking and Baking 101 Cooking and baking are the kinds of activities that most people assume are second nature. After all, we're humans, and our most basic need is to supply ourselves with nutrition. Logically, we should just be able to get in the kitchen and make something t...
- Bartending and Mixology 101 Bartending and bartending skills are always in demand. If you're planning on hosting a cocktail party at your home, or thinking of starting a new career, or just want to learn how to make a certain drink, Bartending 101 is a must for all do-it-yourself...
- All About Herbs Herbs are used for both culinary and medicinal purposes--and sometimes even spiritual purposes. All About Herbs will cover all the basics so that you are ready to explore all of Herbs' many uses. Not only will you learn the history and definitions, but ...
- Weight Training 101 More than 5,000 years ago, the ancient Chinese measured the preparedness of their soldiers by how much weight they could lift, and the ancient Greeks, perhaps more than any other culture at any time in history, celebrated the achievement of great strengt...
- Italian Cooking 101 How often have you eaten out at an Italian restaurant and wished you could re-create those same fantastic meals at home? Most people have had this experience. This course will teach you just that--how to cook great Italian appetizers, entrées and d...
- Lifetime Wellness 101 Health is defined as an optimal state of physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual well being. The same explanation applies to wellness. It's like that old saying You don't have anything if you don't have your health. Our birth certificates...
- Restaurant Management 101 Qualified restaurant managers are always in demand. They earn salaries far above the national average ($45K-$60K and higher), receive generous benefit packages and bonuses, rapid promotions and opportunities for travel. But that's really just the icing o...
- Pie Baking 101 Treat family and friends to a precious childhood memory by serving a mouth watering just-out-of-the-oven baked homemade pie. The step-by-step instructions presented in this course are easy to follow and understand. Beginning with a brief history of th...
- Waiter and Waitress Training 101 Whether you are looking for a part-time job, a summer job, work to help you through college, to supplement your family income, or a possible career, working in the restaurant industry as a waiter or waitress can be your answer. This course will discuss a...
- Tex Mex Cooking 101 Tex Mex Cuisine 101 is a course for those who want to learn more about the Tex Mex phenomenon. Often when we consider Mexican food, it is actually Tex Mex we are thinking of. Tex Mex is a blend of cuisine from Mexico and the Southern States, especially T...
- Spanish Cooking 101 Spanish cookery reflects the Spanish lifestyle; laid back, relaxed cooking that uses fresh beautiful ingredients that are available seasonally and prepared by cooks that are intuitive and resourceful. This course comprises 12 lessons that take you throu...
- Vegetarianism 101: How to Be a Vegetarian Are you curious about vegetarianism or thinking about becoming a vegetarian? You are not alone! Millions of people have made the switch to vegetarianism. Why? Because there are so many benefits, including for your health, the planet, and the animals! Th...
- Spanish Culture 101 Whether you're traveling to Spain or any other Latin American country for business or pleasure, it's important to understand the culture, the behaviors, the values and morals of the people at your destination. Business or leisure travelers to Spain need...