| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Substitute teaching can be a rewarding profession for people looking to make a difference in children's lives and to leave a positive impact in their communities. It is also a job that allows someone a flexible work schedule and the ability to work just about as much or as little as they want to.
However, there are many questions and concerns that someone may have when thinking about working as a substitute teacher. What are the qualifications? What education and training is necessary? What is the best way to prepare for a day of teaching? What is a typical day as a substitute teacher? What are some effective techniques and strategies for keeping students on task and well behaved?
This course will walk any prospective substitute teacher through the beginning thoughts of the profession all the way to how to handle that first day with the students. Potential substitute teachers will learn the benefits and challenges of substituting, the characteristics of effective substitute teachers, how to find out minimum requirements and qualifications, how to apply for jobs, important things to know, details of what to expect in a day of substituting, techniques for managing student behavior, and the future outlook of substitute teaching.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Why Substitute Teach?Substitute teaching is a profession that attracts many kinds of people for many different reasons. It can be an extremely flexible part-time job, or it can be a full-time career.
Lesson 2: Characteristics of Effective Substitute TeachersTeaching youth in a school setting requires certain skills and traits to do the job effectively. Teaching youth as a substitute teacher requires some different skills and traits as well.
Lesson 3: Educational Requirements for SubstitutesAt the very minimum, each state requires that a substitute teacher have a high school diploma or have successfully passed the General Educational Development (GED) exam.
Lesson 4: Finding Opportunities for Substitute TeachingWhile states set minimum qualifications and requirements for substitute teachers, school districts collect an applicants records, can set additional requirements, and hire and place substitute teachers.
Lesson 5: A Typical Day of Substitute TeachingAs with most jobs and professions, there is no 100 percent typical day that each and every person in the profession will experience.
Lesson 6: Assembling Your ResourcesTo help you succeed at substitute teaching, its best that you prepare these resources ahead of time so that you can be confident that you can handle what comes your way.
Lesson 7: School Policies, Procedures, and CultureSubstitute teachers who plan to work in a variety of schools and districts need to be prepared to face small and large differences in each environment.
Lesson 8: Preparing for the DayThe first step in a day of substitute teaching is getting the actual teaching assignment for the day.
Lesson 9: Classroom Management Part 1Combine that with knowing that school administration is hoping that their substitute teachers can keep everyday classroom situations under control, it can make for a very stressful situation.
Lesson 10: Classroom Management Part 2In the last chapter on classroom management, you looked at the things that can help you set up a successful plan for facing a day of substitute teaching.
Lesson 11: Wrapping up the DayBefore you can go home, however, there are few things you need to do as part of your job, as common courtesy, and to impress the regular teacher and the school with your abilities
Lesson 12: The Future of Substitute TeachingIn some school districts, substitute teachers are in great demand. In other places, the supply exceeds the demand.
|Course Title ||: ||How To Be a Substitute Teacher |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||8900082 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $55.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Educational Administration
- Autism 101 Autism Isn't… A result of inadequate parenting Nor is it a learning disability. And a diagnosis certainly needn't be viewed as a life long sentence to mediocrity, emptiness, dissatisfaction or lack of either fulfillment or productivity. Auti...
- Early Childhood Development Research shows that the early years set the stage for all future development. We know more now than ever before about how young children learn, think and grow. All children are born eager to explore their world and master their development. From birth to...
- Basic Parenting 101 Good parenting skills are something we learn, not something we are born with. Being a more effective parent or caretaker is possible for everyone! This course can help you get your parenting skills to where you want them to be. It covers a broad rang...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...
- Building Children's Reading Skills This course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts needed to improve the reading skills in children and adults. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course w...
- Special Education 101: Foundations, Purpose, & Challenges Special Education 101 is the first in a series of relevant, innovative and dynamic courses developed and taught by a leading educator in this field. This course explains why people with disabilities deserve respect rather than pity in their quest for ...
- Reading Comprehension 101 Whether you are a student who is seeking to pass the reading comprehension portion of such standardized tests as the SAT, ACT, CLEP, College Placement Test, ACCUPLACER, GRE, MCAT, LSAT, or GMAT, or you need to improve your reading comprehension for work ...
- Building Self-Esteem in Children 101 While many of us feel we have an idea of what self-esteem is, it can still be difficult to pinpoint just how to go about helping a child to build a healthy one. In Building Self-Esteem in Children, you will learn all about self-esteem and come out ready ...
- Attention Deficit Disorders: ADD and ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) affects millions of children and adults all over the world. Although it is considered a mental health issue by some medical practitioners, ADHD is actually a complex neurobiological disorder, thus, it cann...
- How To Be a Substitute Teacher Substitute teaching can be a rewarding profession for people looking to make a difference in children's lives and to leave a positive impact in their communities. It is also a job that allows someone a flexible work schedule and the ability to work jus...
- First Grade Curriculum 101 The view of schooling is no longer the textbook-based, one-sided lecture method of the 19 th and even 20 th Centuries. Education theory has shifted dramatically in recent decades. The passive learning styles of our past are now understood to be inferi...
- Second Grade Curriculum 101 There is no specific national school curriculum in the U.S. Many states don't develop their own particular curriculum, but rather adopt standards of knowledge that students are expected to master. In recent decades there has been some general agreement ...