| || || |
Learn How to Sew!
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
What do you enjoy about clothing? The colors? The design? The fit?
What is the most difficult part about finding clothing that falls into all three of these categories? Right, the fit. Every human being has a body shape that is just a little bit different from the person next to you. Ready-to-wear clothing manufacturers use standards or "averages" to design and produce clothing that fits the "average" person. What happens when you aren't an "average" size? Your clothing might be well designed and sport the latest in color and fabric, but it just doesn't look good on you. How do you get around that? By learning how to sew!
Sewing your own garments is really not as difficult as it may sound. This course will take you through the very basic elements of fabric choice, how to decipher the pattern envelope and instructions inside, getting to know your sewing machine and how to begin expanding your wardrobe by sewing your own clothing, or clothing for your family.
Your first project will be to stitch together a set of pajamas where you will learn most of the basic elements of how you put a garment together. After that you will learn how to sew a jacket and a basic fitted skirt with a centered zipper. Then you will complete your wardrobe by learning the ins and outs of shirt/blouse construction that includes cuffs, collars, buttons, and buttonholes, ending with the creation of a pair of pants.
Once you finish this course, you will be able to fit patterns to your body, choose the correct size, and stitch together garments that you like and that fit you well.
So what are you waiting for? Let's get started now, because once you begin, you won't be able to stop. A pattern is just where you begin. Once you understand the basics of putting a garment together, you can change and embellish it to your heart's content. Did you see a ready-to-wear garment you like, but doesn't look good on you? Find a pattern that is similar, and create a one-of-a-kind design that fits you and only you. We'll teach you how!
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson One: Sewing BasicsIn this lesson we will discuss how to:
• Pins, Needles and Thread
• Scissors for cutting, clipping and other cutting tools
• The Importance of Pressing
• Staying Organized
Lesson Two: Your Sewing MachineIn this lesson we will discuss: • Types of Sewing Machines
• Anatomy of a Sewing Machine
• Bobbins and Their Problems
Lesson Three: FabricIn this lesson we will discuss: • Types of Fabric
• Warp, Weft, Nap, Right vs. Wrong Side
• Choosing Fabric for Your Garment
• Tricky Fabrics to Sew
Lesson Four: All About PatternsIn this lesson we will discuss: • Choosing a Pattern
• Deciphering the Pattern Envelope
• Fabric Plus the Extras
• Layout Deciphered
Lesson Five: Hand SewingIn the lesson we will discuss: • Threading the needle
• Decorative Touches
Lesson Six: Pattern AdjustmentsIn the lesson we will discuss: • Basic Pattern Fitting and Adjustments
• Adjusting Tops
• Adjusting Pants and Skirts
• Fitting a Pattern, Muslin Mockup
Lesson Seven: Pattern LayoutIn this lesson we will discuss: • Pattern Preparation
• Choosing the right pieces
• What the markings mean
• Cutting out the pattern
Lesson Eight: Sewing PajamasIn this lesson we will discuss: • Choosing Thread
• Seam Allowances/Finishes
• Sleeves, Gathered, or Straps
Lesson Nine: Sewing an Unlined JacketIn this lesson we will discuss: • Preparation
• Pattern Alterations
• Button Loop
Lesson 10: Sewing a Skirt – Part 1In the lesson we will discuss: • Fitting Skirts
• Pattern Layout
Lesson 11: Sewing a Skirt - Part IIIn this lesson we will discuss: • Back Vent
• Center Zipper, Finishing
• Waistband Facing, Interfacing
• Hems Around Vents
Lesson 12: Sewing a Shirt or Blouse – Part IIn this lesson we will discuss: • Pattern Markings
• Shoulder Seams
Lesson 13: Sewing a Shirt or Blouse– Part IIIn this lesson we will discuss how to: • Cuffs
Lesson 14: Sewing Pants – Part IIn this lesson we will discuss how to: • Fitting Pants
• Pattern Marking
• Center Front
• Inner/Outer Leg Seams
• Lapped Zipper
Lesson 15: Sewing Pants – Part IIIn this lesson we will discuss how to: • Lapped Zipper
• Hem – Machine Blindstitch
|Course Title ||: ||Sewing 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550477 |
|Course Type ||: ||How To |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
UniversalClass Staff Instructor
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $40.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Fine Arts and Art Studies
- Cake Decorating 101 Have you ever had a greasy puddle of icing on your cake plate? By the end of Cake Decorating 101, you'll be assured this will never happen to one of your cakes. Cake decorating is not just buttercream anymore. It is the final packaging everyone sees fir...
- Interior Decorating Made Easy Have you always wanted to learn the basic decorating principles and techniques without having to attend an interior design school? Interior Decorating Made Easy will give you a quick and easy overview of the design process. You'll learn the principl...
- How To Draw 101 This course is designed for beginner artists who have an interest in learning how to draw or sketch -- or simply want to improve their skills. It covers the tools you'll need to draw and also provide plenty of exercises to practice drawing using differen...
- Introduction to Gardening Does spring weather make you wish to get your hands dirty in the garden? Is your neighbor's garden the envy of your eye? Have you always wanted to start a garden but just were not sure how to start? The easiest way make this decision is to take a class t...
- Etiquette 101 Etiquette 101 is an overview of today's etiquette rules, updated for today's fast-paced lifestyles and ever-changing codes of conduct for work and leisure. The role of etiquette has changed over the years. At one time, it served as an indicator of each p...
- Soap Making 101 Learn how to make your own soap in our self-paced online course. If you've always wanted to try different soap-making recipes, create your own signature items for personal use, for gifts or for profit, or just learn about what goes into making a so...
- Sewing 101 What do you enjoy about clothing? The colors? The design? The fit? What is the most difficult part about finding clothing that falls into all three of these categories? Right, the fit. Every human being has a body shape that is just a little bit differe...
- Landscaping 101 The enjoyment of a beautiful landscape is one of the great pleasures of home ownership. However, actually realizing your landscaping visions can be stressful Frequently you have a bare dirt and poor grass yard or an all grass yard and you just don't...
- Feng Shui 101 Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese art that is designed to help you improve your life personally and professionally. The Chinese believe that your environment has a large effect on you mentally and your physical well-being. When you are unbalanced in yo...
- Knitting Basics This course is designed to teach beginners the basics of knitting but it is also useful to those knitters that might need a refresher class. Whether you have just a little or no knowledge of knitting – this course is for you. Seven lessons provide ...
- How to Can, Freeze, Dry and Preserve Food This course is filled with everything you need to know to get started in canning and preserving your own foods. By the time you finish this course you will be well on your way to making and storing foods like you have thought about for so long! In this ...
- How to Start a Craft Business 101 Congratulations on considering opening your own craft business! This course offers an introduction to business and guidelines that will help you create a successful and sustainable crafting business. In this course, you'll learn what to expect, how to cr...
- Floral Arrangement 101 Floral arranging is much more than simply putting a bunch of flowers into a vase and filling it with water. Learning the basics of floral arranging will help you put together a simple vase of flowers so that it looks elegant, professional and classy. In...
- Candle Making 101 Candle making is a craft as old as civilization itself, yet after so many millennia and technological advances, we still love the light, warmth, and beauty of a lit candle. Whether a seasoned artisan or a budding enthusiast, this course offers something ...
- Interior Design 101 Interior design is an exciting profession that not only requires designers to be able to think creatively, but also to problem-solve. Interior designers are responsible for creating an environment for a structure, which may include a single-family home, ...
- Fashion Design 101: An Introduction Fashion Design 101 explains the qualities and skills necessary to become a fashion designer. You'll learn about the many related career opportunities available besides that of fashion design and gain an inside look into today's fashion business. A fashi...
- Buying and Selling Antiques and Collectibles How to Buy and Sell Antiques and Collectibles offers a highly successful approach to acquiring and selling antiques and collectibles for both fun and profit. This course incorporates many strategies of acquiring and selling desirable objects and pieces, ...
- Wedding Crafts and Projects Make the wedding day an even more memorable occasion for the bride, the groom and guests by handcrafting all or parts of the bridal event. Wedding crafts are such a fun, creative and unique way to personalize a wedding and also to involve friends and lov...
- Etiquette for Children and Teens 101 Etiquette seems like an obsolete term in our modern world, however, more than ever, it is important to learn how to have solid social graces and just plain old good manners. Etiquette simply means learning how to treat others well and how to behave well ...