| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
We're excited to now provide an intermediate to advanced proofreading and copyediting course for students who have requested more in-depth information about these fields. This self-paced class is geared for those people with little or no experience in these fields but who have a really good grasp of grammar, syntax, punctuation and spelling. Freelance editors and proofreaders are used not only by book publishers, but also by newspapers, magazines, government agencies, printing companies, large corporations, and internet journals, manuals, newsletters and blogs. Technology is currently changing the proofreader's and copyeditor's requirements and that's why this course will not only cover the basic skills and procedures but will also provide an understanding of computer applications within the publishing industry (i.e. copyediting software, editing electronically without software, and MS Tracking changes).
For those of you who have a passion for grammar and punctuation, and an eye for finding errors, find out how you might turn your talents into money as a copyeditor and/or proofreader.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: What Is Proofreading?A good editor understands what you're talking and writing about and doesn't meddle too much.
Lesson 2: What Is Copyediting?Copyediting is a diverse field that can be very rewarding, challenging and lucrative for a person who enjoys working with the written word.
Lesson 3: Dealing With ErrorsAs a copyeditor and proofreader, you will be dealing with many different errors. In this lesson, you will get a refresher on the most common types of errors that you will see as an editor.
Lesson 4: Copyediting SymbolsMost likely you will be doing most of your editing on the computer, so putting in computer notations to determine what a writer has to do will be covered here, but you may also be editing paper, which means you will have to write on a piece of paper.
Lesson 5: Style SheetsOne of the most important things to do when you are copy-editing is to create a style sheet. A style sheet is extremely important when you want to keep a piece of writing, no matter what it is, consistent.
Lesson 6: Copyediting SpecialtiesCopyeditors can work in a variety of different industries and each industry will require different skills in copyediting.
Lesson 7: Proofing Magazines and NewspapersIn the previous lesson, we touched briefly on what copyeditors and proofers do when editing magazines and newspapers. In this lesson, we will delve much further into this important and highly profitable field of copyediting.
Lesson 8: Copyediting SoftwareAs with anything, there are easy ways to do things thanks to technology and copyediting software is no different.
Lesson 9: Editing Electronically Without SoftwareThere are several reasons to why you would edit something electronically.
Lesson 10: MS Tracking ChangesOne of the most important tools you have at your disposal with editing electronically is tracking changes.
Lesson 11: Translation CopyeditingOne of the most profitable areas to be a copyeditor is being a translation copyeditor.
Lesson 12: Subjective Elements in CopyeditingA skill that a copyeditor must have is to be able to take the subjective element of a piece of writing and keep it in its current form.
Lesson 13: Dealing With FootnotesAs a copyeditor, something you need to be concerned with is footnotes.
Lesson 14: Employment as a CopyeditorThrough all of the learning and lesson, the end result is always the same. You want to get a job as a copyeditor. Well, that is what this lesson is all about and by the end of it; you will know exactly what you need to do to become a copyeditor.
Lesson 15: Copyediting ExercisesThis last lessons contains some copyediting exercises.
|Course Title ||: ||Proofreading and Copyediting 201: Tips, Techniques, and Exercises |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550351 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
UniversalClass Staff Instructor
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $50.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Education
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- Punctuation and Grammar 101 Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or w...
- Spelling 101 Do you use your Spell Check on your computer obsessively? Are you afraid to write anything without a dictionary or computer spelling program? Are you receiving low grades on schoolwork because of poor spelling? Are your business emails filled with emba...
- Writing Improvement 101 We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're ...
- Proofreading and Copyediting 101 Become a Skilled Proofreader or Copyeditor If you're looking for a new career path or if you're a writer who wants to improve your writing skills, learning how to proofread and copyedit with our easy to follow, in-depth course, may be just what you nee...
- Essay Writing 101 Essays are a vital part of writing, both in academic circles and in many professions. Being able to write good essays is a rare ability and those that can demonstrate a mastery of this writing form will quickly distinguish themselves from those who write...
- English Composition 101 Acquiring and developing the fundamentals of English composition is a vital skill that can be used in a variety of settings and situations. Being able to competently compose an essay and organize a thesis is not only useful in academic environments, but ...
- ABCs of Technical Writing Technical writing is the art and science of translating technical information into readable, accessible writing usable by a wide audience. If you have ever read the user's manual for a piece of software or equipment you've purchased, you've seen technica...
- Basic Research Skills Basic Research Skills teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to deciper good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet se...