| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Finding a peaceful recreational space in nature can be a difficult task in our modern world. The choices of recreational outdoor activities are many; water sports like boating and jet skiing are fun for those directly engaged, but can be distracting and even annoying to those seeking quieter surroundings.
In a world where everything seems to be moving at break-neck speed and super techno-logy, there's nothing like paddling down a slow-moving, sunlit, picturesque river to ease one's mind. The fresh air, exercise, and relaxation are added benefits.
This comprehensive, illustrated guide is designed to instruct people on the sport of canoeing; including a brief history of the canoe, a discussion on safety, instruction on basic beginner/intermediate paddling techniques, and proper portaging techniques.
Topics will also include:
Basic dimensions of a canoe
The cost and different construction materials of a canoe
The basic paddling strokes and maneuvers
How to take beginning canoe lessons
Preparation for poor weather conditions
The different water movements and the dangers of tackling the wrong course
The River Ratings System
Dangers of hypothermia
Basic equipment needed on a canoe
So join us today, and let's learn how to canoe!
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize the history of the canoe.
- Describe basic paddling techniques.
- Describe different types of water, self-rescue techniques, and how to deal with bad weather.
- Summarize River Ratings and the Classification System.
- Summarize the safety checklist for canoeing, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: A Brief History of the CanoeThis lesson will give you a brief history of the canoe, the basic dimensions of a canoe, and the levels achieved in this sport.
Lesson 2: Increasing Your Paddling Skills and Choosing a CanoeIn this lesson, we look at the cost and different construction materials of a canoe.
Lesson 3: Basic Paddling TechniquesIn this section, we will be discussing the basic paddling strokes and maneuvers.
Lesson 4: Portaging a CanoeIn this lesson we will discuss the finer points of "portaging," which simply means carrying the canoe around shoreline trees, sand and gravel bars, and other impassable obstacles found along waterways.
Lesson 5: Paddling Courses for BeginnersThis lesson discusses how to take beginning canoe lessons and be prepared for poor weather conditions.
Lesson 6: Rough Water, Self-Rescue, and Dealing With Bad WeatherBy checking the weather conditions before you go canoeing, you can avoid being in dangerous situations.
Lesson 7: Paddling Locations, Flat Water, Moving WaterThis lesson discusses the different water movements and the dangers of tackling the wrong course.
Lesson 8: River Ratings and the Classification SystemThe River Ratings System is used to describe the level of difficulty a river course presents and the level of skill needed to run that river.
Lesson 9: A Discussion on Paddling Safety and a Checklist of Essential Gear For CanoeistsIn this lesson, we discuss the dangers of hypothermia and the basic equipment needed on a canoe.
Lesson 10: Other Important Gear for PaddlersThe following items are part of a list that make up the basic gear for canoeists.
|Course Title ||: ||Canoeing 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||8900106 |
|Course Type ||: ||Hobby/Enthusiast |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $30.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Featured Courses in Fishing
| ($95.00) Biology, the science of life, concentrates on the structure, function, distribution, adaptation, interactions, origins and evolution of living organisms, a grouping which encapsulates both plants and animals. more || || ($60.00) Who do you think benefits the most from feeding and observing wild birds - the birds or us?. more |
| || || |
| ($60.00) This comprehensive, illustrated course is designed to instruct people on the sport of freshwater fishing; including an introduction to the sport, discussions on various bait fishing, lure fishing, and casting techniques. more || || ($55.00) How to coach little league baseball is an ideal guide for any coach or parent of young players. more |
Other Related Classes in Fishing
- Meditation 101: Learn How to Meditate Meditation is a practice by which a person achieves a greater sense of awareness, wisdom, introspection, and a deeper sense of relaxation. Practiced for millennia, it is the discipline of concentrating on a single object, thought, sound, movement, or o...
- Yoga 101 Yoga is accessible to everybody. A history of 5000 years is proof of how lasting and magical this exercise art really is. How many other exercises can boast worldwide acceptance? The fact is, over the past twenty years, yoga popularity has increased ...
- Weight Training 101 More than 5,000 years ago, the ancient Chinese measured the preparedness of their soldiers by how much weight they could lift, and the ancient Greeks, perhaps more than any other culture at any time in history, celebrated the achievement of great strengt...
- Bird Watching 101: Food, Feeders and Behavior Who do you think benefits the most from feeding and observing wild birds - the birds or us? People of all ages, from all walks of life, study birds with interests that range from occasional pleasure viewing to an outright passion resulting in lengthy t...
- Advanced Dog Training Advanced Training for Man's Best Friend Going Beyond the Basics of Dog Training Going beyond the basics of sit, come and stay, advanced dog training includes understanding your dog in dog terms. By knowing the traits of your dog's breed and taking fu...
- The Art of Breathing 101 The Art of Breathing is a course on utilizing your full breathing abilities in order to improve your day-to-day life. Most of us don't employ our breathing machine fully -- and we will teach you how to do that. From breathing routines to yoga and medita...
- Relaxation 101 In this course we will discuss the art behind relaxation techniques. You will learn a variety of techniques to help you learn how to relax. In today's Western world, stress is a constant companion leading to chronic illness and disease, increased dissati...