| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
'Film Appreciation for Modern Audiences' is intended as a journey through the world of film. It is a sampling of the thought and accumulated critical opinion that forms the basis of the modern stature of 100 years of film-making--as art or culturally important dramatic work.
If you love film, then this course will help you learn more about film analysis, film reviews and discussions, period genres and movements in film style, and more. It will provide you an informed opinion that will hopefully make your enjoyment of the film medium deeper.
This course may be useful for professionals who need to be informed and conversant about the film-industry; for the layman who wants to know as much as he/she can about the world of film for personal enjoyment; or for the student, hoping to become familiar with the 'lay-of-the-land' for film-criticism.
Lessons include discussions on the following:
- How you can get real enjoyment from the films you watch, and why you should care
- Early film-history
- The process of film-making and how it relates to understanding the films you watch
- A look at 100 years of film-styles, genres and movements
- A discussion of film-psychology, and some fascinating aspects of the perception of films
- A review of 'films to watch', taken in 20-year periods starting in 1900, and moving through 2007, featuring all the classics from each era
- General ideas about film and art-theory as a consumer habit
- Film composers to know
- Film directors to know
- How to get your twenty-dollar's worth at the movie-theater
- New ways to enjoy film and new audience technologies
- And much more
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the value of film viewing.
- Summarize early film history.
- Summarize the filmmaking process.
- Define 100 years of film styles and movements.
- Define film psychology.
- Describe general ideas on art theory as a consumer habit.
- Describe new ways to enjoy film, technology, and the future, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: The Value of Film ViewingThis lesson asks the question "Why do we enjoy watching movies?"
Lesson 2: Early Film HistoryThis lesson describes the evolution of filmmaking, the inventors, and early actors.
Lesson 3: The Filmmaking ProcessThis lesson describes the different phases of the filmmaking process.
Lesson 4: 100 Years of Film Styles and MovementsThis lesson describes how technology, culture, and current events affect movie making.
Lesson 5: Film PsychologyThis lesson describes how writers and directors can get reactions from movie goers.
Lesson 6: Films To Watch----1900--1960This lesson explores the popular, classic, and well made pictures of this era.
Lesson 7: Films To Watch 1960---2007With new technology, popular movies are changing. Here are some of the most watched.
Lesson 8: General Ideas on Art Theory as a Consumer HabitThis lesson focuses on questions of art theory. What makes movies "art" or "classic?" What makes a picture "good" or "bad?"
Lesson 9: Film Composers to KnowThis lesson lists many of the most popular movie composers and some of their greatest hits.
Lesson 10: Film Directors to KnowThis lesson lists influential film directors of the past and the present.
Lesson 11: How to Get Your Money's Worth at the MoviesThis lesson examines how box office receipts are influenced by the reviews and by consumer likes and dislikes.
Lesson 12: New Ways to Enjoy Film, Technology, and the FutureThis lesson examines some of the new technology available for watching movies.
Lesson 13: Personal Enrichment as a Film Audience ConsumerThis lesson provides insight into "reality" vs "big screen."
|Course Title ||: ||Film Appreciation 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550484 |
|Course Type ||: ||General Education |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $35.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
- "I appreciate the availability and the comments made on my work." -- Carlos G.
- "I liked the summaries of the different film, directors,and composers. Some of the aesthetic principles were interesting also." -- Linda B.
Other Related Classes in Film, Video & Photographic Arts
- Digital Photography 101 You just bought your first digital camera and don't know the ins and outs of all those buttons. If that isn't daunting enough, the user's manual is pages thick and intimidating. Well, you've come to the right place. Owning a great digital camera is no g...
- Adobe Photoshop 101 Adobe Photoshop is a complex graphics and image editing software and paint program. Chances are, you've heard of Photoshop frequently in the past even if this will be the very first time that you use the program. Adobe's Photoshop program has become a ...
- Novel Writing 101 From character and plot-conflict development to infusing a unique style and specialized writing techniques, the steps to writing a novel--while not utterly impossible--do require a dedicated, disciplined approach. By committing to the steps outlined ...
- Creative Writing Workshop Do you dream of writing poetry, short stories, or novels? Have you ever watched a movie or a play and felt the desire to write a script of your own? Or have you already done some writing but want to find ways to bring more creativity, more originality, t...
- ABCs of Photography Are you tired of the pictures that have been coming out of your camera? Maybe everyone's eyes are half closed or perhaps there is always a shadow that makes everyone in the picture look like they have a beard. Maybe you want to take better pictures but j...
- Creative Writing 101 'Creative Writing 101' is an attempt to capture what cannot be held in hand or thought--the elusive riddle of human creativity as we find it in our writing. Here we look at various forms and genres (books, dramas and plays, poetry, essays, film-writing, ...
- Greek Mythology Do you feel totally clueless when it comes to Greek Mythology? Do you often say to yourself: It's all Greek to me? You were supposed to learn this stuff in school but classical mythology isn't really taught anymore in elementary or secondary schools....
- Poetry Writing 101 This poetry course is created for the lover of poetry who wants to learn how to appreciate the art even more. It is also for student poets who want to improve their craft. This course is thorough in teaching all students everything they need to know abo...
- Photography 101: Beginner to Intermediate Have you ever seen those old black and white (or brown and white) pictures of pioneers? No one smiled, the women always wore gloves, and the children's faces were smudgy. In those days, the cameras required a longer period of time to capture the image th...
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing There you are, cold-calling yet another sales prospect. Your verbal pitch is pure gold; your prospect is attentive--interested--and seems ready to buy. But just as you're about to close the deal, you hear that eternal refrain: Send me something ...
- How to Write a Short Story 101 If you're a reader and thought you might like to try your hand at short story writing but just don't know how to get started, this course will help! We'll take you through the entire process…preparing your mind, getting ideas on paper, and he...
- ABCs of Technical Writing Technical writing is the art and science of translating technical information into readable, accessible writing usable by a wide audience. If you have ever read the user's manual for a piece of software or equipment you've purchased, you've seen technica...
- Freelance Writing 101 If you have ever dreamed of being a freelance writer this course is for you. Get started today learning about this exciting field and in no time you can be on your way to earning a living, extra income, and more, by doing something that you love – ...
- Screenwriting 101 This is a basic, nuts-and-bolts course, for people who wish to write screenplays, but don't know much about it. Because screenwriting is demanding both technically and in the market for jobs and sales, 'Getting Into The Screenwriting Game to Win' attempt...
- Mystery Writing 101 This course is perfect for those who have an interest in either Creative Writing or the Mystery Genre . If you love to write and want to move into this popular genre, or you love to read a great mystery and have often thought you could do it, this cours...
- Philosophy 101 Philosophy is a mystifying, confounding, and wondrous discipline that affects virtually every aspect of human existence. While it attempts to consider the big issues of our lives, including our very existence, the nature of the world, whether or not know...
- Romance Writing 101 Writing a romance novel is the dream of many people all over the world. It's no wonder: as the most popular fiction genre in the United States for the past three decades, there are more opportunities in romantic fiction than ever before. What's uniq...
- Microsoft Publisher 2007 Microsoft Publisher can be an amazing tool. It can help us complete impressive tasks in a fraction of the time, and help to accomplish things that we could never have done on our own. But you have to know how to use this program. This course will sho...
- Nonfiction Writing 101 The famous Ayn Rand once wrote, Like every human activity, [writing] requires practice and knowledge. But there is nothing mystical about it. Any person who can speak English grammatically can learn to write nonfiction. This is as true today as when Ms. ...
- MS Publisher 2010 Microsoft Publisher 2010 is a desktop publishing software program that comes with the Microsoft Office suite. While Microsoft Word is a word processing program, Microsoft Publisher is used for page layout and design. You can use Publisher to create brochu...
- Humor Writing 101 Humor Writing There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you. (Will Rogers) Laughing- the salve of the soul. When we feel at our lowest sometimes the only thing that can turn our mood around and lift ...
- Travel Writing 101 Travel writing is a fun, interesting and fulfilling career. If your goal is to become a full-time travel writer who is able to live off your income from writing alone, it is important to understand that travel writing, like any other career, requires you...
- Microsoft Project 2007 Microsoft Project 2007 is a project management software that helps project managers better structure, organize, and plan for all their projects. This includes budgets, tasks, resources, assignments, and everything in between. It can create critical pat...
- American Literature Review Reading and learning about American literature is synonymous with understanding the history and culture of a nation that has undergone dramatic social, economic, and cultural change in its relatively short history. This course is a reveiw of the literat...
- Historical Fiction Writing 101 Writing historical fiction is quite simply writing a story that is set in the past. You will do research to create a correct and realistic setting, based upon facts. Historical fiction can even include real people. You are writing fiction, but it is so ...
- Writing the Great American Short Story A pair of hands on the keyboard, a blank screen, and a single wish: You want to write the Great American Short Story! You've read many of them -- Poe's Black Cat, Cheever's Enormous Radio, Welty's The Worn Path -- but have you come close to writing a tal...
- Writing Effective Persuasion 101 Do you hear stirring speeches that inspire to go out and take to heart what the speaker was talking about? Do you wonder how some people can sell nearly anything simply by how they talk? If you do, then chances are you are wondering about being persuasiv...
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101 Paranormal romance is all the rage lately. From books to movies, sexy vampires and gothic love stories are blazing up the bestseller lists and hitting the top of the box office. Paranormal romance falls under the umbrella term 'speculative fiction' whic...
- Adobe Flash 101 Adobe Flash CS4 can be a complex program to use and understand, even if you already have basic knowledge. It's very easy to get lost in the interface and confused by the many features it offers. This course was designed to solve the mysteries of Adob...
- Photoshop Elements 101 Adobe Elements 11 is the consumer-based version of the popular Photoshop program that allows you to store, sort, and edit images and photographs. Photography enthusiasts will love Elements ability to organize images and create albums. Photoshop lovers wi...