with CEU Certificate
|Course Meeting Times:||Continuous|
Welcome to advocacy for the elderly patient. With growing numbers of seniors in our aging population, families and extended family members are finding themselves in a position where they're providing for some or all of the care for their senior loved ones.
Understanding basic rights of patients and how such rights apply to the elderly will help you become an advocate for not only elderly patients, but for other family members and friends. In this course, you'll learn what an advocate is, what one does, and why it's important to be an advocate for patient care today.
You'll also learn not only how to be a well educated advocate, but to do your part to preserve the dignity of seniors, prevent elder abuse, and understand the basics of elderly patient care at home, in assisted living facilities and in nursing homes or other care scenarios. You'll learn the importance of nutrition and providing senior-friendly living spaces. You'll learn how to effectively evaluate nursing homes and understand the legal rights of seniors and how to protect them from scams.
As an educated advocate, you'll also learn how to identify and report red flags when it comes to senior care, including elderly abuse and more personal aspects of care, including hygiene. You'll also learn the importance of documents such as advance directives and powers of attorney in order to provide the best in secure, comforting and effective senior care that maintains their independence and dignity in all areas of their life.
This course does not require any previous medical background. Any aged learner (18 or older) is welcome.
This online course contains 11 easy to read lessons which can be completed at own pace (access to course upon enrollment will be available for up to 6 months)
Lesson 1: What Is An Advocate?
Lesson 2: Preservation of Dignity
Lesson 3: Preventing Elder Abuse
Lesson 4: Quality of Life Issues
Lesson 5: Providing Safe Environments
Lesson 6: Patient Care Advocacy in Home-based Settings
Lesson 7: Advocacy for Elders in Nursing Homes
Lesson 8: Nursing Home Resident's Rights
Lesson 9: Legal Rights
Lesson 10: Red Flags
Lesson 11: Death and Dying
All course material is available within this online course.
Each lesson is followed by an end of the lesson multiple choice and T/F Quiz . Some of the lessons will be followed by an assignment based on lesson facts and opinions expressed.
70% or higher will be required in order to complete this course.
- Alzheimer's Disease 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Caring for Seniors$78.001.4 CEUs
- Aging and Long Term Care 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Anatomy and Physiology 101$90.002.1 CEUs
- Biology 101$95.003.5 CEUs
- Microbiology 101$110.003.0 CEUs
- Medical Terminology 101$75.001.8 CEUs
- Mediation 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Medical Terminology 201$80.001.7 CEUs
- Comprehensive Medical Terminology 1 & 2$115.003.3 CEUs
- Medical Assistant 101: Career Overview$75.002.2 CEUs
- Medical Office Procedures 101$75.001.0 CEUs
- Caring for Patients with HIV/AIDS 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Introduction to Medical Billing$110.001.7 CEUs
- End of Life Care$60.000.4 CEUs
- Medical Terminology for Medical Coders$115.001.4 CEUs
- Introduction to Medical Coding$154.002.0 CEUs
- Careers in Healthcare$55.000.2 CEUs