| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Professional counselors need a strong foundation to prepare them for entering the profession of counseling. If you are seeking a program to enhance your skills, or just want to learn more about the career, this Introduction to Counseling course will give you great insight toward reaching your educational goals.
The course will focus on counselor's work as well as a counselor's typical day, provide understanding into how personal and professional ethics play a major role in the dynamics between counselor and client, and the challenges of various abnormal behaviors and mental disorders a professional counselor must face in helping people to live their own life rather than be lived by it.
This self-paced course incorporates a vast variety of areas that apply to many different environments and circumstances including addiction, marital problems, eating disorders, bereavement, educational and career counseling. You'll learn the top ten basic counseling skills to create a positive relationship between client and therapist and how these skills can help the client to make positive changes.
Introduction to Counseling offers an inside view of core counseling techniques and approaches, and opportunities for counseling professionals to understand the complex role client diversity plays in their work. When the ailment can't be measured by numbers on the thermometer, that's when a counselor's work begins.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define what a counselor is.
- Summarize the basic skills needed to be a successful counselor.
- Evaluate whether or not you could be a counselor.
- Describe career options for counseling in the private sector.
- Summarize the major counseling techniques.
- Describe the law and legal issues behind counseling.
- Summarize counselor self-care strategies.
- Summarize what counseling skills a social worker needs.
- Compare and contrast counseling techniques in diverse environments.
- Summarize ethical guidelines a counselor needs to follow, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: What is a Counselor?Counseling is a place to get support with indecision, stress, job opportunities, marital problems, learning disabilities and the list goes on and on.
Lesson 2 Developing Basic Counseling SkillsStudies are increasingly finding that the type of specialty therapy used is not as important to actual outcomes as the specific counselor behavior such as confidence, enthusiasm and the belief in the ability of the client/patient to change.
Lesson 3 Are You A Candidate For A Counseling Career?By now, you're probably asking yourself, "How do I get ready? Where do I start?" Education and training requirements for counselors are detailed, and vary by state and specialty.
Lesson 4 Counseling In Private SectorIt's no secret the squeeze is on to promote better physical and mental health via the workplace. Individual counseling in the workplace shows great potential for helping employees with poor health to become more physically active and fit.
Lesson 5 Mastering Counseling TechniquesRole playing is an effective tool in any group counseling setting. Acting out scenarios may be used for training professionals or in a classroom setting for the understanding of certain curriculum.
Lesson 6 Legal and Ethical IssuesHave you ever found yourself involved in an ethical dilemma? Chances are good that you have.
Lesson 7: Popular Counseling SpecialtiesIt's not necessary to choose a specialty before you begin your master's program in counseling, although many students enter into counseling programs with one in mind. counseling you want to
Lesson 8 Counseling ArrangementsOne-on-one counseling or individual counseling generally focuses on the concerns the client has raised. The counselor and client work together to develop strategies to address client goals and decide the length of time needed to resolve client concerns.
Lesson 9 Counselor Self-Care StrategiesSelf-care is an intrinsic, ongoing and highly important responsibility that should be practiced by everyone, particularly those in health care. Its goal is to ensure that the professional's mental and physical wellbeing is in good shape.
Lesson 10 The Social WorkerSocial work is a profession for those with a strong desire to help improve people's lives. They assist people by helping them cope with everyday issues, deal with their relationships and solve personal and family problems.
Lesson 11 Counseling In Diverse EnvironmentsFor the counselor, information is power. In recent years, the work of counselors and psychologists has expanded beyond traditional environments from classrooms to courtrooms and from public safety offices to prisons.
Lesson 12 Business Aspects of CounselingMany beginning counselors and therapists thirst for realistic instruction, training and specific guidelines to help them to meet the challenge of counseling in group settings.
Lesson 13 Record Keeping And Ethical Guidelines"Licensed counselor" means a licensed marriage and family therapist, licensed mental health counselor, licensed advanced social worker or regulated licensed independent social worker.
Lesson 14 Counseling Based Communication SkillsCounseling incorporates a vast variety of areas that apply to many different environments and circumstances. Understanding human behavior and improving communication are essential when interacting positively with others.
|Course Title ||: ||Counseling Psychology 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550089 |
|Course Type ||: ||Professional Development |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $40.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
- "This Course was excellent learning experience for me, THANKS." -- Krishan A.
Other Related Classes in Counseling Psychology
- Psychology 101 Why not learn the basics of psychology with our online course designed to give students the most flexibility and independence? Psychology 101 is a comprehensive class providing an up-to-date presentation of the fundamentals of psychology. It's an excel...
- Anger Management 101 If you have been at the mercy of the negative consequences that result from mishandled anger, Anger Management 101 will provide relief. This insightful course is filled with both practical wisdom and application that will end the anger trap for good. ...
- Human Resources Management 101 Many professionals who enter into the world of human resources quickly believe that they will succeed in their new found field simply because they have a knack for relating with people from all walks of life. While having good people skills is certainly ...
- Spiritual Counseling 101 This course will be of tremendous help to anyone, and everyone who has an open mind. Spiritual counseling and awareness is beneficial to everyone, no matter what age or education level. More important than material things, more important than the perfect...
- Confidence Building 101 This course on building self-confidence reaches beyond the standard self-help program by addressing the core issues surrounding confidence problems and exploring how to reprogram our brain‘s negative self-talk. Based on the concept that we come int...
- Negotiation Skills In order to be effective at any business endeavor learning how to negotiate properly is not simply a nice skill to have, it has become an essential requirement in career advancement. This course will teach you what you need to know in order to become acc...
- Assertiveness Training 101 The ability to be assertive is difficult. Because most people do not want to be perceived as selfish, demanding, hostile, stubborn or just plain hard to get along with, they allow others to take advantage of them or they do more than is necessary or requ...
- Child Psychology 101 This course introduces the methods, theories and main concepts used by psychologists to develop a real insight into the world of children. Child psychology is extremely important for a number of reasons, not the least of which is being able to understan...
- Dream Interpretation 101 Dream Interpretation A dream that is not interpreted is like a letter that has not been opened. ( The Talmud) Across cultures and over the ages -- since the beginning of history -- dreams and their interpretation have both intrigued and bewi...
- Listening Skills 101 Did you know that there is a difference in hearing and listening? There is! Have you ever been told that you just don't listen? Most people have at some point in their life, so you probably have experienced it as well. But the problem is that good listen...
- Abnormal Psychology 101 Abnormal Psychology is a highly complex and fascinating field of study. The modern psychological community has made tremendous strides in better understanding, diagnosing and treating abnormal disorders of the mind compared to centuries and even decades ...
- Basic Parenting 101 Good parenting skills are something we learn, not something we are born with. Being a more effective parent or caretaker is possible for everyone! This course can help you get your parenting skills to where you want them to be. It covers a broad rang...
- Conflict Resolution 101 Conflict Resolution: In the Workplace and Beyond Did you know that a little conflict in your office today can shut down your entire operation tomorrow? That is no exaggeration! Workplace conflict costs. It starts by reducing productivity and employee h...
- Sociology 101 This comprehensive course provides an up-to-date presentation of the essentials of sociological study. Students will learn a wide range of classical and contemporary perspectives which will encourage links between theories and current research. With the ...
- Mediation 101 The individual who pursues a career as a mediator can look forward to a job that is personally satisfying and financially rewarding. With its emphasis on fairness and cooperation, this career is an ideal choice for those who are empathetic and want to ...
- Diversity Training 101 Diversity training is not a new concept, but one that many organizations have been implementing into their training programs. The idea is that when employees are exposed to a variety of different cultures, individuals with different sexual preferences an...
- Healthy Relationships 101 Whether you are in a new or long term romantic relationship, a busy student working with other colleagues, parents struggling to form a connection with your children, or a business person needing to form a relationship of trust with the employer--relatio...
- Organizational Psychology 101 Industrial and Organizational Psychology or I/O is a varied field of study filled with many career opportunities. The importance of this field has never been more prevalent than in the last decade. The use of I/O methods has been proven to increase pro...
- Persuasion 101: Learn How to Persuade Have you ever purchased something or agreed with someone and wondered later what made you give in so easily? Do you want to learn how to give a persuasive presentation by yourself? This course offers a blend of the science and the art of persuasion...
- Employment Law Fundamentals 101 Learn the basics of Employment Law , the potential pitfalls, and ways to keep yourself out of court so that you can grow your business by hiring, evaluating, and managing employees. This course will discuss all the necessary information you need to kno...
- Workers' Compensation 101 Since as far back as Ancient Greece and Rome, there has been a system in place in all civilized societies to compensate those individuals who have become injured or disabled due to a work-related accident. The laws and regulations governing what is known...
- Workplace Safety 101 This course focuses on workplace safety, health, and inspection. Throughout this course you will learn what workplace safety is, why it is important and how it affects a business. Common areas of workplace safety are discussed, including office safety...
- Childhood Obesity 101 Are you one of those parents who constantly worry about your child's weight? Are you unsure about the kind of help and support an overweight child needs? Or are you looking for ways to prevent your child from gaining excess weight? Whichever the case, th...