(with CEU Certificate)
|Office Hours:||By Email|
|Course Meeting Times:||Self-Paced / Online|
Cooking and baking are the kinds of activities that most people assume are second nature. After all, we're humans, and our most basic need is to supply ourselves with nutrition. Logically, we should just be able to get in the kitchen and make something to eat.
Many people grow up watching their mothers or fathers cook; they may see them read recipes, combine ingredients, and use sauté pans. These same people often take for granted the ability to get into the kitchen and know what to do.
Having an inborn ability to cook isn't guaranteed. Studies show that having a good role model in the kitchen is one of the best ways to learn how to cook and bake. However, maybe you never had the opportunity to watch someone cook. Perhaps you never had enough time to really apply yourself to the task. Maybe you're just scared of not knowing what to do.
The good news is, it's never too late to start, no matter what your background may be. The most important thing to take with you into the kitchen is a basic understanding of what to do and how to do it.
This course is designed to give you just that. You will learn everything from what supplies you need for getting started to reading recipes and planning meals. You will be provided with a basic understanding of what it means to be in the kitchen and sources for additional information to foster a lifetime of culinary growth!
I. Cooking vs. Baking: A Brief Overview
a. What is Cooking?
b. What is Baking?
II. Kitchen Equipment
a. Common Cooking and Baking Appliances
b. Less Common Cooking and Baking Appliances
c. Cooking and Baking Utensils
III. Cooking Terms
a. Understanding Recipe Vocabulary
b. Basic Kitchen Terms
i. Ingredient Terms
ii. Action Terms
IV. Baking Terms
a. Understanding Baking Recipe Vocabulary
b. Basic Baking Terms
i. Food Terms
ii. Action Terms
V. Fresh Ingredients
a. Seasonal Produce
i. Spring Fruit
ii. Summer Fruit
iii. Fall Fruit
iv. Winter Fruit
v. Spring Vegetables
vi. Summer Vegetables
vii. Fall Vegetables
viii. Winter Vegetables
b. Fresh Herbs and Spices
VI. Pantry Essentials
a. Baking Essentials
b. Cooking Essentials
i. Canned Goods
ii. Fresh Items
iii. Dried Herbs and Spices
iv. Miscellaneous Items
c. Building a Pantry
d. Rotating Pantry Items
VII. Using Cooking Recipes
a. Reading a Cooking Recipe
b. Measuring for a Recipe
VIII. Using Baking Recipes
a. Reading a Baking Recipe
b. Baking-Specific Directions
IX. Expanding Recipes
a. Measuring Tools
b. Measurement Conversions
i. Dry Ingredient Conversions
ii. Wet Ingredient Conversions
c. Multiplying Recipes
d. Finding and Storing Recipes
X. Meal Planning
a. Cooking Small
b. Cooking Big
c. Using Leftovers
XI. Safety in the Kitchen
a. Dangerous Foods
b. Storing Food
c. Tips for Safe Food Handling
d. For More Information
e. Keeping Kids Safe
Each lesson will include a written and practice assignment that will directly apply what you have learned.
A brief 25 pt. quiz will follow each lesson. Students will successfully complete this course with 70% or better.
It is always dangerous working with hot ovens, stoves, knives, and kitchen equipment. You must know how to cook safely before attempting to do the lessons in this course.
- Describe kitchen equipment needed.
- Define cooking terms.
- Define baking terms.
- Summarize the use of fresh ingredients.
- Describe the essential stockings of a pantry.
- Demonstrate usage of cooking recipes.
- Demonstrate usage of baking recipes.
- Summarize techniques used to expand recipes.
- Summarize safety techniques in the kitchen, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
- Bartending and Mixology 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Aromatherapy 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Wedding Planning 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Nutrition 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Etiquette 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Career Coaching 101$65.001.4 CEUs
- Life Coaching 101$65.001.5 CEUs
- How to Be Your Own Life Coach$60.001.0 CEUs
- Introduction to Gardening$60.001.1 CEUs
- Aromatherapy (Intermediate to Advanced)$65.001.0 CEUs
- Vegetarianism 101: How to Be a Vegetarian$55.001.0 CEUs
- Etiquette for Children and Teens 101$55.001.0 CEUs
- Lifetime Wellness 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Wellness Coaching 101$75.001.1 CEUs
- Weight Training 101$65.001.4 CEUs
- Party Planning 101$65.001.4 CEUs
- How to Can, Freeze, Dry and Preserve Food$55.001.0 CEUs
- Floral Arrangement 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Catering 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Cake Decorating 101$60.001.4 CEUs
- Special Events Planning 101$70.001.4 CEUs
- Kitchen Sanitation 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Waiter and Waitress Training 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Flower Essences 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Restaurant Management 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Therapeutic Bathing 101$55.000.8 CEUs
- Anti Aging Techniques$65.001.2 CEUs
- Landscaping 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- Event Planning 101$75.000.9 CEUs
- All About Herbs$55.001.1 CEUs
- Pie Baking 101$60.000.6 CEUs