| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
If you are the kind of person who...
- thrives on cooking for your friends,
- wants everyone to come to your house for dinner,
- feels like you have more party food ideas than you could ever possibly execute in your own home
...then you might want to start your own catering business.
Caterers cook and transport food for other people's parties. Unlike restaurants where all the cooking and serving happens at the same location, caterers have the added logistical challenge of transporting food from their kitchen to the party venue.
Caterers work closely with their clients to develop a menu and a party plan that meets their clients' desires and budget. To be a successful caterer, you must have business savvy, be great at dealing with people, and able to handle stress. Additionally, you'll need be an excellent cook as well as be creative, organized and efficient. Some caterers have several of these qualities when they start out, but they have to develop the others as they go along.
This course discusses in detail the critical aspects of management involved in running a catering business like how to get the appropriate licenses and permits, what kind of kitchen you need, basic food safety practices, party planning, cooking for a crowd, planning meals, dealing with customers, understanding how to price your services, and moving the food safely from one location to another.
If you are passionate about food and you feel like you have what it takes to start your own catering business, this course can help you understand the critical steps involved in starting off on the right foot.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: What Is Catering?Unlike a restaurant, which prepares food in the same location that it will be served, caterers generally cook the food in one place, and take it to a party venue to be served.
Lesson 2: State and Local RegulationsMost areas of the country require that people who are cooking for others, do so in a commercial kitchen. Specific requirements vary among states and counties.
Lesson 3: Food SafetyFood safety is a critical issue, and it deserves a whole course of its own, but this section presents some basic food safety guidelines.
Lesson 4: Business PlanningA business plan is like an outline that describes your business. In the beginning, there will be some issues you aren't sure how to answer.
Lesson 5: Getting StartedBefore you quit your day job, make a detailed analysis of what all your startup costs will be.
Lesson 6: MarketingFor a catering business, marketing means letting people know you are out there, making sure they understand what kind of events you do and what you want to do, and ensuring they are able to find you when they want you.
Lesson 7: Party PlanningIn the early days of your business, most clients are likely to be friends and family members with whom you already have a relationship, and who will only be so hard on you if something goes awry.
Lesson 8: Meal PlanningMeal planning can seem like an overwhelming task, but once you understand the occasion, the venue, and its limitations, the most important thing is what the customer wants.
Lesson 9: ShoppingThe contract is signed, the menu is ready, and you are about to go shopping. As a professional caterer, you are armed and ready with an extensive list of everything you need, organized by the store in which you plan to buy it.
Lesson 10: Timing and Kitchen EfficiencyThe more efficient you make your work processes, the less time it takes. The less time it takes, the more profitable you can be.
Lesson 11: Logistics: Getting the Food to Its Destination on TimeThere are two ways catered food can arrive at its final destination: either the caterer takes it, or the customer picks it up.
|Course Title ||: ||Catering 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550523 |
|Course Type ||: ||How To |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
UniversalClass Staff Instructor
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $40.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Culinary Arts
- Nutrition 101 Improve your health and your life through nutrition and exercise. Create nutrition and health goals to motivate you to become a healthier you. Make meaningful, lasting changes to your diet that last. Review the digestion process and how our body would di...
- Cake Decorating 101 Have you ever had a greasy puddle of icing on your cake plate? By the end of Cake Decorating 101, you'll be assured this will never happen to one of your cakes. Cake decorating is not just buttercream anymore. It is the final packaging everyone sees fir...
- Event Planning 101 Event planning is one of the hottest new fields available to people from all walks of life today. Although some event planners may possess a college degree in business or a related field of study, a college degree is not required to be an event planner,...
- Wedding Planning 101 You won't find a more comprehensive of a wedding course online that isn't offered by a bridal association! This eleven-lesson course teaches you all that you need to know to become a well paid, successful wedding planner – starting the day after ...
- Cooking and Baking 101 Cooking and baking are the kinds of activities that most people assume are second nature. After all, we're humans, and our most basic need is to supply ourselves with nutrition. Logically, we should just be able to get in the kitchen and make something t...
- Soap Making 101 Learn how to make your own soap in our self-paced online course. If you've always wanted to try different soap-making recipes, create your own signature items for personal use, for gifts or for profit, or just learn about what goes into making a so...
- Italian Cooking 101 How often have you eaten out at an Italian restaurant and wished you could re-create those same fantastic meals at home? Most people have had this experience. This course will teach you just that--how to cook great Italian appetizers, entrées and d...
- How to Start a Craft Business 101 Congratulations on considering opening your own craft business! This course offers an introduction to business and guidelines that will help you create a successful and sustainable crafting business. In this course, you'll learn what to expect, how to cr...
- Candle Making 101 Candle making is a craft as old as civilization itself, yet after so many millennia and technological advances, we still love the light, warmth, and beauty of a lit candle. Whether a seasoned artisan or a budding enthusiast, this course offers something ...
- Special Events Planning 101 Think back to the last time you went to a convention, a wedding, or an off-site business meeting. Everything you saw--from the sign-up posts, to the table decorations, to the folders you've been handed--had to be created by someone. That someone would ...
- Pie Baking 101 Treat family and friends to a precious childhood memory by serving a mouth watering just-out-of-the-oven baked homemade pie. The step-by-step instructions presented in this course are easy to follow and understand. Beginning with a brief history of th...
- Buying and Selling Antiques and Collectibles How to Buy and Sell Antiques and Collectibles offers a highly successful approach to acquiring and selling antiques and collectibles for both fun and profit. This course incorporates many strategies of acquiring and selling desirable objects and pieces, ...
- Wedding Crafts and Projects Make the wedding day an even more memorable occasion for the bride, the groom and guests by handcrafting all or parts of the bridal event. Wedding crafts are such a fun, creative and unique way to personalize a wedding and also to involve friends and lov...
- Party Planning 101 Looking for a way to throw a children's birthday party on a budget? Easy crafting and good old creativity can balance the budget and still bring joy to all the little party guests. In the party planning business, there is no right or wrong, only a desir...
- Catering 101 If you are the kind of person who... thrives on cooking for your friends, wants everyone to come to your house for dinner, feels like you have more party food ideas than you could ever possibly execute in your own home ...then you might want to start you...
- Tex Mex Cooking 101 Tex Mex Cuisine 101 is a course for those who want to learn more about the Tex Mex phenomenon. Often when we consider Mexican food, it is actually Tex Mex we are thinking of. Tex Mex is a blend of cuisine from Mexico and the Southern States, especially T...
- Spanish Cooking 101 Spanish cookery reflects the Spanish lifestyle; laid back, relaxed cooking that uses fresh beautiful ingredients that are available seasonally and prepared by cooks that are intuitive and resourceful. This course comprises 12 lessons that take you throu...
- Vegetarianism 101: How to Be a Vegetarian Are you curious about vegetarianism or thinking about becoming a vegetarian? You are not alone! Millions of people have made the switch to vegetarianism. Why? Because there are so many benefits, including for your health, the planet, and the animals! Th...
- Spanish Culture 101 Whether you're traveling to Spain or any other Latin American country for business or pleasure, it's important to understand the culture, the behaviors, the values and morals of the people at your destination. Business or leisure travelers to Spain need...